A trust was constituted by the Alumni Association of the University of Colombo on 18 January 2022 for the benefit of the undergraduates of the Faculty of Law for the following purposes:
- To advance the knowledge and education of the less privileged undergraduates of the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo;
- To provide scholarships, equipment, facilities, accommodation and or general economic support to such less privileged undergraduates of the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo, in pursuit of the first objective above-mentioned;
- To conduct or carry out such other activities as the Trustees may from time to time think desirable in the pursuit of the objectives above-mentioned.
The Alumni Association, as the Settlor, donated a sum of Rs. 200,000/= to the Trust upon setting the Trust. The Trust contemplates receipt of donations, grants from persons, including and not limited to the alumni of the Faculty of Law.
- The ex-officio President of the AAFL;
- The ex-officio Secretary of the AAFL;
- The ex-officio Immediate Past President of the AAFL;
- The ex-officio Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo or a member of the Faculty permanent staff nominated by the Dean;
- A retired Judge of the Superior Courts of Sri Lanka, being an alumnus of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo;
- A President’s Counsel being an alumnus of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo;
- A former Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo.
Ex Officio Members
Ms. Dilani Alagaratnam
Ms. Subanie Ekanayake
Mr. A.A. Mohamed Illiyas, President’s Counse
Past President of the AAFL
Prof. Nishantha Sampath Punchihewa – Dean of the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo
Justice Joseph Asoka De Silva
Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Sri Lanka
Mr. Maithri Evan Wickremesinghe
Prof. Indira Nanayakkara
Former Dean of the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo
AAFL TRUST FUND
“The First Scholarship granted”
The first Scholarship of the AAFL Trust Fund was granted to a deserving student of the Faculty of Law. The Trust Committee independently evaluated the request before making the decision in November 2022. The scholarship will grant the student with a disbursement of a monthly sum for the duration of the studies to ensure completion of the degree.
A SUM OF RS. 700,000/= TO THE
AAFL EDUCATION TRUST
At a meeting of the AAFL Education Trust held on 10 February 2023, the Alumni Association of the Law Faculty handed over a cheque for Rs. 700,000/= to the Education Trust to be used for the benefit of students in terms of the Trust. The monies were raised from the “Back to Faculty” event organized by the Alumni Association in December 2022. The Chairperson of the AAFL Education Trust thanked the Association, its members and those who attended the “Back to Faculty” event for making this donation possible.
The photograph shows Mrs. Dilani Alagaratnam, President of the Alumni Association handing over the cheque to Mr. Asoka de Silva, Former Chief Justice and the Chairperson of the AAFL Education Trust. Also present were Trustees, Prof. Indira Nanayakkara and Mr. A.A.M. Illiyas, PC and Mr. Mohamed Adamaly, Attorney-at-law
Establishment of the
AAFL Education Trust:
Signing the Trust Deed on 18 January 2022